Pages

Saturday, August 24, 2013

Guest Post : Time To Write That Book by Jane Tara


It is said that everyone has a book in them. Certainly in my experience this appears to be true. When people ask what I do for a living, and I tell them I’m a writer, most will inform me that they’ve always wanted to write a book. Some even tell me what the book is about. Most will admit that they really want to write the book … but simply don’t have time.
It’s at this point that I roll my eyes. I don’t mean to. (I apologise if I’ve done it to you.) But am I one of those blessed people who was born under a 24 hour clock while others got ripped off with only 15 hours a day? How can I find time to write when others can’t? Or is it possible that everyone has enough time to write a book?

I understand that everyone is busy. I am too. I run a business. I’m raising four boys. I also have a massive problem where I love a clean house but don’t have a cleaner … I’m thinking about making all my sons live in one room only, which will cut down on housework.

Life is a constant juggle, but I jam as much writing as possible into any spare minute I can. I write when my sons are asleep. Or when I’m waiting for my kids to finish jujitsu / swimming /drums. While other mothers chat, I sit in the corner and edit pages. I regularly stare into space as I ponder how to move forward with my plot (no doubt many people think I’ve lost the plot).

There is always time for that book if you really want it.
Do you watch TV? Turn it off. There, you have time. Spend hours on the Internet? You could be writing. Do you commute to work? I have a friend who writes all his novels on the Tokyo subway.

Naturally there are certain things I’ll never find time for, despite knowing I should. I’ll never find time to volunteer for canteen shifts at my son’s school. I’ll never find time to clean up my iPhoto, or make proper albums for my kids, or write in my diary, or read A Course in Miracles, or clean out the front shoe cupboard. But anything I’m truly passionate about, and anything I really want to achieve … well there’s always plenty of time for that!

- Jane Tara


We thank the writer for taking time out to write such a passionate piece for us in spite of her hectic schedule.

Jane Tara spends most of her time wandering the world and writing. She has over twenty children's picture books published in Asia, and has written travel articles for many publications worldwide. She has lived in Tokyo, London, Vienna, New York and various parts of Australia. She recently transformed her  itchy feet into ITCHEE FEET, which publishes travel books for kids. Jane is the author of the Shakespeare Sisters Series. Both FORECAST and the sequel, TROUBLE BREWING are 
available on Amazon. Jane lives with her partner Dom and their four sons in Sydney, Australia.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Not a SPAM comment! :)